Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Procrastinators of the world unite and take over...eventually.

It is very rare that I blow my own trumpet, but I am willing to admit that I am exceptionally good at procrastinating. In fact, I would say I have it down to a fine art. I put off everything. I'm even procrastinating about writing this, I keep wandering off to listen to a song, read a blog, check a website, anything but pay attention to what I'm supposed to be doing. I've always been this way, many a Sunday afternoon was spent writing essays that I'd had weeks to complete but were due the next day, and I still do some of my best work under pressure. I see kids in the library all the time in a panic about assignments that are due tomorrow which they've only just decided to start. I understand them, although I do occasionally attempt a lame lecture about not waiting until the last minute and that's why all the books are out, my heart's not really in it. Of course the internet makes it a lot easier than it was back in my day, procrastinating kids today don't know how good they've got it.

I procrastinate about the same things over and over again. Every year I tell myself I'll get my taxes out of the way early, and every year I'm rushing to get them done in the last week. I never get petrol unless I'm about to run out, which is almost always late in the week when the prices are higher. I pay bills on the last day they're due. I will only restock stuff when it's actually run out, even if it means being inconvenienced by going without. I never bother to put laundry away because by the time I get around to it, it's time to wear it again. To go with it, I hate the thought of being late with anything, so bills never get paid past the due date and taxes are always done by the deadline, I just wait until the last possible minute to do it on time. My favourite thing is when I've put something off so long, it no longer needs doing.  Just think of all the time I've saved not doing stuff that didn't really need to be done after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment