Tuesday, May 4, 2010

21st century hermit

I have just had a couple of weeks off work and it's disturbing how easily the days went by without me doing very much with them at all. I had planned to do all sorts of things - shopping, movies, visit friends, maybe go to an art gallery or museum - but I did barely anything besides read, surf the net and watch television. I joke about becoming a hermit, but I really am getting dangerously close to it. I blame the internet, it's given me much less reason to leave the house. As well as having the ability to download just about anything and keep in touch with just about anyone, I have also discovered the joy of buying most things online. Apart from being able to find exactly what I want without traipsing from store to store, it works for me because I am far too susceptible to suggestions from smooth talking sales people, who can easily convince me to spend more money than I had planned to or upgrade to a bigger and better whatever. I'm not assertive enough to stand my ground, and I very often come home having spent way more money than I intended on something that wasn't really what I wanted in the first place. The internet saves me from all that, and I am very good at tracking down the best deals, but it also means I have little excuse for a shopping trip anymore. And I find more and more that I just can't be arsed doing anything that takes any sort of effort. I won't go anywhere unless I know I can drive there and park easily. I'm tired of going to mediocre restaurants that require me to spend 20 minutes driving around in circles, only to still park 15 minutes walk away from where I'm going, and having to pay for the privilege. My friends know if they choose restaurants in certain suburbs then they have to be prepared to listen to me bitch and moan for 20 minutes about how hard it was to park when I finally get there. (It's a wonder I have any friends at all really, but they're surprisingly good natured about it.) And I'm glad I travelled a fair bit in my twenties, because it wouldn't happen now. As much as I'd love to see more of the world, all that planning and packing and being away from the comfortable familiarity of home puts me right off the idea. I recently caught myself saying that I can't be bothered going to concerts anymore when they're so expensive and I could just buy a CD for a fraction of the price and listen to it as often as I like - because as well as being a near-hermit, I'm also apparently turning into my parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment