Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Is it wrong not to always be glad?

I am not very good at being cheerful. Pessimism comes naturally to me, and it feels wrong not to be worrying about something. Expecting the worst means I’m often pleasantly surprised, even if I have wasted a lot of time and energy worrying unnecessarily. And there’s a certain joy to be had in wallowing in misery from time to time. So many wonderfully sad songs are made for just such occasions, it seems a shame to waste them. I would even go so far as to say I enjoy being melancholy, it feels normal to me, being happy for no good reason just doesn’t feel right. I do suspect this is one of those things that makes me a bit of a freak, but that’s okay.

I try not to inflict my moods on others if I can help it, and I know there are times when I have to just put on a happy face whether I feel it or not. I appreciate a kind word when I’m really feeling down, and being around people who are genuinely happy can be infectious. It’s just that some days I seem to be surrounded by relentlessly cheerful people who feel it’s their mission to cheer me up, whether I need it or not. Maybe I am too stuck in my happily miserable state, but surely it’s not normal to be happy all the time? Sure happiness is great, but pretending to be happy when you’re not doesn’t actually make you happy, does it? I know it’s never worked for me, anyway. I certainly don’t begrudge the optimists, I even admire their ability to always look on the bright side, I just feel more comfortable over here on the dark side. This is just my version of cheerful, and I’m very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment